PPG Minutes: 17 January 2023
Time: 6:00PM – 7:30PM
Location: SMA Medical Centre
Twelve attendees in total not named due to GDPR (including AA & MP the PPG chairs, Dr Patel, and Nick Christou (NC) Senior Practice Manager.
Apologies: Two SMA patients including Ahmed who submitted a bid for the PPG chair position was not able to attend as he is on holiday.
AA PPG Chair Update
Patients at the meeting were given a presentation and issued with copies of the findings from the brief survey that was completed at the Mantal Health Awareness Day on 6 August 2022. The overall findings from the survey ranged from excellent to very good.
NC CPCS update
Community Pharmacy Consultation Service (CPCS) – Patients that are unable to obtain a GP face-face appointments for non-urgent health concerns may be offered an appointment to see a pharmacist of their choice. The patient survey Question 8 completed at the PPG Mantal Health Awareness Day on 6 August demonstrated that 58% of patients were willing to see a pharmacist, 23% said maybe and 19% said they would not see a pharmacist if they were unable to obtain a GP appointment. 60% of patients that were referred to a pharmacist were successfully treated and did not require to see a GP.
NC practice update
- Congratulations to Palash Deb on his promotion by the Hurley Group to assistant SMA practice manager.
- The NHS have approved the proposed improvements to the practice premises which will include downstairs automated door entrance and an additional clinical room upstairs.
- Four GP’s now work at the practice Dr Patel, Dr Qureshi, Dr Edung, and Dr Farooq.
- Capacity to see GPs face-to-face has increased, currently 54% of GP appointments are face to face an increase of 8% on the same period last year.
- Additional services that are now available at the practice are physiotherapy, clinical pharmacists, social prescriber, paramedic, health care assistants and home BP monitoring.
- A brand-new lift has replaced the old lift.
- The practice has replaced the WC in the reception toilets.
NC Election of PPG Chairs
Three contenders submitted applications to become chairpersons, Andy and Mumtaz as a joint bid and Ahmed.
In Ahmed’ s absence Nick Christo read out a biography that he compiled in support of his bid to become the elected chairperson.
Andy and Mumtaz presented a joint bid in support of their bid to remain chairpersons. The patients at this meeting voted unanimously in support of Andy and Mumtaz to remain as SMA PPG chairs.
Patient participants at this meeting would like updates on the following:
- Provide a list or a pamphlet of the services pharmacies provide with and without a GP referral.
- A patient requested general local information and support for patients that identify as Transgender.
- A patient has requested that an Arthritis specialist is at the next PPG SMA event.
Work in progress
- E-consult timings to revert to 7 days a week 24 hours a day for patients who have a health concern.
- Patients are concerned that face-to-face GP appointments are at the discretion of the practice and patients are not able to see a GP face to face.
- Negotiations are ongoing with the practice manager to reinstate on-line pre-booked face to face GP appointments & messaging services.
- NC is compiling a GP and SMA team photograph poster.
- SMA patients can communicate directly with the PPG chairs without going through the practice by using the confidential PPG email address TBC. The practice will not be able to access the emails you send to this email address. If you have any recommendations or topics that are NOT health related that you would like to discuss relating to the practice or NHS, please use the email and let us know.
Thank you all for your outstanding support and input. We look forward to seeing you at the next PPG meeting on the 20th March 2023 6PM (face to face only) at the SMA Medical Centre.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.